Monday, February 15, 2010

In Depth with Temple Grandin

This weekend, Billy and I were driving home and a noisy motor bike drove past us.

His hands flew up to his ears while the bike went past, and he said, 'My ears hurt because I'm autistic.'

I was surprised. Pleasantly, because while we haven't really sat him down and had 'the talk', we've never stopped talking about autism around him. And we've always included him in discussions about his own dilemmas.

I asked him what he thought autistic means, and he said, 'My brain is special, and it makes my ears hurt.'

Fair enough.

Flash forward to this morning, and I was watching an interview with Temple Grandin on C-Span. It was posted on www.theautismnews.com, one of my favourite ASD related websites.

Billy came and sat with me for a minute.

He watched some of the interview, and turned to me and said, 'Is she autistic too?' I said, 'Yes'. He said, 'Cool.'

Click on the link below, if you want to see Temple Grandin in action. Watching her makes me feel peaceful.

Doesn't happen all that often...

1 comment:

Kate said...

Wow - how cool is that? I love that he's so positive about it... and that Temple is so relatable to him. After all, they both love animals!