Saturday, January 9, 2010

We grew it, we ate it... and then we remembered...


I was all excited tonight.

After a lovely day (trip to an animal park, then to a garden centre for more seeds for Billy and my vegie garden and even grocery shopping with Billy), with a minimum of drama for us... I made dinner. A nice summer dinner of fish and salad.

The best bit of our dinner was the raw carrots in our salad. Billy and I sprouted the seeds, we transplanted the seedlings, we kept the plants alive and now, we've harvested them. We have deep, rectangular planters hanging off the deck at the back of the house, perfect for drinking in the hot Sydney summer. There are all sorts of things growing there.

Tonight's carrots were lovely. They're called Roly Poly Carrots. Billy didn't eat them, just the grown ups. We congratulated each other on a nice, fresh summer dinner, opened another beer and sat back on the couch in front of Survivor.

Then, Billy said, "Can I go out and do a wee off the back deck?". We let him wee off the deck sometimes, as we're a one-bathroom family. So, I said OK, and watched him walk outside and pee right on the spot where the carrots were planted.

We ate pee carrots.

You might not hear from me for a couple of days...

2 comments:

Jenni said...

The thought might be gross...but urine is actually really sterile. If he had deposited something other than urine there then I might be really grossed out. As it is, he probably just managed to fertilize them.

Anonymous said...

HA HA Ha ha ha.....
Oh, I needed that. What Jenni said is right though. It is sterile on the first pee through. So, if you were trapped without water and the only chance to survive was to drink your own urine, you could drink it...but only once. It's not sterile on the second go-round. I forget why I know this.