Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Books and words and books!

In the last 24 hours, Billy has given me three literacy related moments of pride.

First, when we were curled up ready to go to sleep last night, he chose a book to read.



It was Rex, written by Ursula Dubosarsky and illustrated by David Mackintosh. It's a book we've read before, but not for six months or so. He opened it, and read the whole thing to me. He laughed at the jokes, he found the magic in the amazing pictures, he got it.



Then, at school, they had done some spelling - by sticking letters onto paper. Billy was incredibly proud of spelling 'cheetah'. He showed it to me, and then went around and read other people's words too. One of the first real spontaneous exchanges between Billy and his classmates.


Then, we went to the ABC Shop after school. For the not-Australian amongst you, that's the retail arm of our public broadcaster - think PBS or BBC kind of content. Billy found a huge coffee table book of David Attenborough's Nature's Great Events. He carried it (it was as heavy as he is) proudly to the register, and paid for it. You'd seriously think it was a Maserati. He loves that book.

And I know it's not what you would expect from a 'normal' six year old... but incase you hadn't noticed yet, I reckon my six year old is quite exceptional!

Proud mother moment... over. I'm sure there will be more, though. Indulge me.

No comments: