Saturday, December 19, 2009

From little things, big things grow...


Yesterday morning, this sunflower opened in Billy's vegie garden.

He grew it himself, from a seed. Sprouted in his tiny greenhouse, transplanted into a bigger bed. It's the first sunflower, but it follows radishes, carrots, blueberries, zucchini, rocket, celery, basil and tomatoes... all sprouted, grown and eaten (mostly by bugs... must investigate natural bug repellants). Billy has (at least) tasted all of them. OK, sniffed all of them. He'll get there.

If you have a kid, that likes nature and likes to be outside, see if they like sprouting seeds and growing stuff. It's so much fun.

In sensory terms, there's noting better - heavy work, varied input, heat, cold, water, dirt... it's all good.

And I'm ashamed to say, that before we did this, I was very ignorant in the ways of fruit and vegetables. I hadn't made the link between flowers and fruit. I had no idea really, how plants reproduced.

How did I live 41 years on the planet and not get this stuff?

Billy's done 6, and he can tell me all about it.

But I guess that's because he's done it, with his own hands. He's felt it, smelled it, watched it (a little too closely sometimes) and done a little dance around it.

No comments: